Thursday 14 September 2017

My First Bus Ride Alone .....

I did my kindergarten studies in Holy Name High School near Regal cinema Mumbai. My eldest brother took me to school one day. It was one of the duties assigned to him by our father.

That day we travelled by the BEST bus to Dr Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Chowk which is a terminus near The Prince of Wales museum.

We walked a little and reached the lane leading to the school. At this corner my brother gave me 25 paise pocket money from which I bought some bubble gum.

I entered the school precincts and immediately felt amiss. It was deserted except for a security guard who came to me and said "Today the school is closed. It's a holiday. Why have you come?"

I told him  I did not know it was closed. Not losing my equanimity I firmly ensconced myself on the steps 

I started pulling out the chewing gum and stretching and rolling it back in. A few minutes passed and then the watchman came to me and indirectly suggested I should move.

"How long will you sit here."
"The school is closed" and so on.

I got up and walked to the bus terminus a little tentative and very  scared. I stood at the bus stop waiting for bus no.101

People started noticing me. Then one Gujarati elderly man asked me where I was going...why was I alone. The capped emotions suddenly welled up and I burst out sobbing with the whole story.

Thereafter I was taken care of extremely well boarding, seating embarking.... I remember buying my halfticket for the journey with the money I had. It cost  5 paise !

When I reached home everyone was pleasantly shocked. I was fussed about a great deal and given a reward too. I remember it was some money which I immediately put into my piggy bank.

I was attending the Senior Kindergarten class at Holy Name High School when this happened.  I was five then.

No comments: