Sunday 1 October 2017

I Could Have Been One Of The Fifty Two

In the early morning of the fateful day of the Elphinstone Bridge tragedy I was planning to travel from Mahalaxmi to Kurla by the local trains.

I was up early and Rukaiyas as usual was sleeping. Since the past week or so I was considering the visit as my 65 year old special needs sister's diapers stock was dwindling and I had finally made up my mind to buy them from a whole seller in Kurla.

I would have caught a train from Mahalaxmi and changed lines at Elphinstone- Parel station and used the same bridge to cross over at about the same time.

But I got into some household chores and got delayed and then Rukaiyas woke up
Bathed clothed and fed her.

And although I had received news of the horrific tragedy, I decided to go with Rukaiya in tow. But boarded a local train from Byculla going directly to Kurla. As we passed Parel caught a glimpse of the ill-fated bridge.

A wave of horrific grief made me shudder. A video of images of the morning's tragedy rolled across in my mind.

I Could Have Been One Of The Fifty Two who died or were injured in the morning

No comments: