Monday 4 December 2017

The Physiology of Pain

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/TIoEvzuPhNjv2hOC6lAYBM/The-ride-back-home.html

That day I was at Byculla with Rukaiyas on the ebike when the muscular cramps set on me in the  abdominal area.

There was little pain but I could feel the muscles entwine one on top of the other to create a local area of dull pain.

Having studied the physiology of pain on many  occasions. I have learnt the art of reducing/removing the pain by un-entwining the muscles by consciously releasing them one by one in reverse order (backwards)  i.e. the muscle cramped last is released first then the second last and so on.

However on that particular day it wasn't working. But I did not stop and continued riding the ebike until we reached home.

Lying down I slowly managed to un-entwine and slept.

I think most people continue or even increase their pain by hoping to get out on the other side of the 'Pain-train'.

Little do they realise that this is a dead end and the only way out is to go reverse or backwards.

As you slowly un-entwine the muscles backwards one by one the pain reduces and after all the muscles are un-entwined only the nucleus pain remains which is much less.

This is not the same as being indifferent to pain. It is a conscious scientific effort to reduce physical pain.

I guess if one is clinical enough and not awash with emotions one could do the same with the pain of the heart/soul too.

No comments: